Friday, 15 November 2013

1st day Cairns


We picked up the camper and our first stop was the supermarket to get some supplies then we take the wrong road and end up driving up into the mountains on a windy 1 in 10 road - a few heart stopping moments as I'd only been driving this for about 10 min before we take this detour - thanks Coral!!
We stay at a camp site and go to the croc farm today - a chance to see these - 
Aaaaahhhhhh...... There're so cuuuute
And so are these - but in a different way..

Yikes!!! These are salt water and fresh water crocs - they do swim in the sea and are quite numerous this time of year - so I don't think I'll risk it - I had a swim yesterday between the safety net and it was like a luke warm bath - not a great experience but I've swum in two oceans in the last 4 days - temperature wise at opposite ends of the spectrum.
More crocs - this is the big one - about 5m - no one knows how long crocs live - the original one at this place died 10 years ago and had been at the farm from 1935 - they reckon he was about 100 years old - their teeth eventually drop out so in the wild they would not live this long - but in captivity they are fed and have health insurance so they live much longer.
The keeper almost misjudged this one - a near miss!

We are staying at an RV spot tonight - it gets dark here before 7.00 so it's prudent to off the road by then and parked up so you are not arguing with each other in the cab. 

3 comments:

  1. I was expecting a picture of you doing your best Roger Moore in Live and Let Live running across the backs of the crocs........!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops ..... I meant Live and Let Die..................

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fancied having a go at that but Coral wouldn't let me - our travel insurance specifically excludes croc skippin'

    ReplyDelete